As early as 1654, a country estate called 'Brackesteyn' existed. It was owned by town bailiff Gysbert van Mulecom. In 1717 Bernard Rappard was owner, and in 1752 the estate was passed on to Coenraad Rappard, whose family handed it over to Johannes Quack in 1803. In this period the so-called star forest was planted, of which the oldest beeches date from 1700-1750! In 1824, everything came in the possession of the Tulleken family, who had the old country house rebuilt in 1865. When the house was transferred to Rudolf, Baron van Hovell tot Westerflier in 1903, a conservatory and a best room were added to the country house. Victor Jurgens, cousin to Frans Jurgens, who owned estate Heyendael, bought it in 1915 and, on account of his love of horses, built a stable with coach house on the estate. At the same time the gardener's house, a well and new entrance gates were designed, all by the Amsterdam architect A. Jacot. In 1928, cousin Toon Jurgens, who by this time rented the estate from Victor, ordered alterations of the chapel and former coach house on the drive to Driehuizerweg into a children's playhouse, better known as the seashell house. The park was redesigned by garden architect Samuel Voorhoeve around 1930. After the war, the country estate was part of the Canisius Hospital; since 1967, it is a catering establishment. The Botanical Garden in the park was constructed in 1969 by order of the Catholic University, and was transferred to the Hortus Arcadie foundation in 1998, which subsequently restored the dilapidated garden to its old splendour.