|Between Waalkade and Steenstraat, there is a medieval little city gate, which became known under several names: Lossert-, Besienders-, Tol-, Tollenaars- or Onze Lieve Vrouwe gate. Some of the wall fragments from the gate, which was turned into a storage room, date from the 15th century. In the side wall, which became visible when the adjoining pre-war buildings were demolished, several old structures can be recognized. Because of the raising of the Waalkade in 1885, the Besienderspoort ended up far below street level, and it can presently only be seen from the Steenstraat. It is understandable that the gate was completely forgotten when it was bricked up in 1915. In the 1970's the gate, which was presumed lost, was rediscovered.
Next to the Besienderspoort lies a gabled house from the 15th century. In the 16th century, this was the house of the 'besiender' - a river inspector who collected toll - Sybert Lossert, one of the name givers of the adjoining little gate.
Photograph B. Makking